245 Speedometer problem (other end this time)

Can I change the speedo cable without changing the housing? Pull the old cable out and snake a new one in? Good time to go after that odometer gear while I'm in there...

My speedometer quit working accompanied by a puddle of ATF on the ground. Figured the cable came loose at the tranny. Nope, broke off at the tranny. (what's up with a plastic part connecting the cable to the trans?) Evidently a transmission mount broke which allowed the back of the trans to flop around and whack the speedo cable.

'83 245, ~ 230K (odo don't go no mo')

Reply to
Clay

Yes, if you get an inner the correct length. I remember buying one many years ago to fix the speedo cable on my '71 that was longer than needed with a crimp on end. Just cut to the correct length, crimp, and you're done.

Reply to
Mike F