Brake pipes on the old SD1

Took the SD1 for an MOT. It ran out last year - the car hasn't been used due to Covid.

Did test everything I could before the test - including doing an emergency stop. All seemed OK.

On the actual test, a brake pipe split on the brake rollers. Not a hose but a steel one. Lucky it happened there, rather on the road.

There is an absolute rats nest of pipes below the master cylinder - to the front/rear balance valve. And this late car has even more pipework due to a different secondary system. All of which well buried. Behind the engine, etc, and very difficult to trace.

Because they were all rusty to some extent, am going to replace the lot. They'll have to be cut off the balance valve as well and truly rusted in place.

Can I find a diagram of the pipe layout/runs? BL manual no help. Parts lists only show the early cars. So I'm going to have to draw it out myself. The kit of new pipes in Cunifer won't arrive until next week anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That sounds like the wiring on my HRG, which a friend had restored while I was away in the US. Whoever did the wiring left several surprises, such as the turn indicator wiring changing colour at the front chassis member J-box. The left signal wire goes to the right side, and the left has a piece of wire that must have been found loose on the garage floor. I made my own wiring diagram, as you will be doing with your brake lines.

Reply to
Davey
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Maybe I need some different encoding, but that comes up as rubbish on my PC.

Reply to
Davey

I've no idea what happened there.

This is what I replied:-

I've been very lucky. On Facebook, someone had taken pics of the pipes with the engine out. Which saves me trying to draw them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That's good

Reply to
Davey

Most of the wiring diagrams you see for old cars are in black and white - and often too small to read detail easily.

For the SD1, I scanned it and used that as a templet to draw it as a vector drawing. With all the wiring in the correct colours. And instead of a number which referenced to another page to tell you what was what, the names printed beside them. As you can zoom in a vector drawing without it going fuzzy. Even when converted to a PDF.

I'm not surprised the wrong colours were used to extend your loom. Par for the course, as few can be bothered to source the correct colours - and of course cut lengths are more expensive than a full reel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News