Battery or Starter or Alternator problem?

I have a 1997 Rover 416 Tourer Auto which is showing some starnge symptoms.

If I go to start it ona cold morning, it turns over, and starts fine. If I then drive it the 25 miles to work, and then turn the engine off, and then try to start, it is very reluctant, almost seeming as though it isn't going to make it.

If I leave the car to stand for a couple of hours or so, it starts normally again.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Electrolyte level in the battery is fine, and the battery was passed as OK when checked a couple of months ago. The alternator has also been checked, and was said to be OK too.

It almost feels as though the battery is being discharged as the car is being driven. It hasn't actually let me down yet, but you know that feeling when something like this is happening .....?

Any suggestions?

Regards,

JMcG

Reply to
JMcG

symptoms.> Any suggestions?

i aint no expert bnut could it be a 'Heat' Issue?

Yoda Out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

The message from "Yoda Of Borg" contains these words:

You reckon he's got the latest issue?

Reply to
Guy King

partially siezed? Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

This sounds suspiciously like a problem with my car - a rover 420 2.0 SLi,

1998. Although mine's only done this a couple of times in the 16 months I've had it.

On a couple of occasions, I've left the car for around 30 minutes (after driving and warming it up first) then come back and tried to start the engine. On turning the key in the ignition, the engine turns over two or three times then stops and a continuous 'whirring / buzzing?' sound can be heard until you release the key. Same result on the second and third attempts. On the fourth or fifth attempt the engine starts.

As I said, it's always been fine when totally cold, or when the car has been left for at least a couple of hours, and it's only ever done this twice in the time I've had it.

So I'd be interested to know too what's causing it, if indeed it is the same problem as the OP.

Cheers, Shaun.

Reply to
Code Developer

Probably a loose or faulty connection on power or earth leads, or internal starter fault. There is also a slim chance it is a battery fault (internal bad connection)

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Sounds like either the starter relay or the solenoid, I had similar problems on an old 80s type 3 box 216 it was the relay case had filled with water due to pressure washing the engine bay.

If it isn't that you can't find anything else obvious such as the earth strap do a cranking voltage test.

Reply to
awm