BMW 320D 2001 Brake ?

Offside front brake was binding, removed the pads pressed the brake pedal and gentle squeezed the piston out to expose the corroded/worn area, cleaned it up with wet/dry paper, WD40 etc and it operated freely, no problems for 2 weeks, now it is starting to bind again, pads have plenty of meat on them so the piston is not travelling further than normal.

I want to remove the caliper from the car fully to give it a good overall, how do I remove the flexible hose but there is no banjo, is it threaded straight into the caliper on this model?

Reply to
Ricardo

Yes. & WD40 rots brake seals, use brake grease.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not the correct name as that refers to high melting point ordinary grease. You want red rubber grease.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

It's always better to just go and get a new caliper in my experience. ...but one has to ask how the OP knows the caliper is binding.

Reply to
adder1969

I know the brakes are binding because at slow coasting in a carpark for example the car comes to stop as though slightly applying the brakes and the offside side front wheel is hot to the touch after a journey, having said that i think new caliper may best outcome, it could come back to haunt me a long way from home.

Reply to
Ricardo

Out of interest, does engine oil rot rubber seals and parts. I spray the underside of my old VW campervan every couple of years with engine oil using a air compressor to protect it from rust. I am very careful to avoid rubber parts, especially around brakes and steering, but there will always be a thin film of oil in the air that settles on them.

Reply to
Graham

Graham ("Graham" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Very definitely.

Reply to
Adrian

Make sure though that it's not something else causing the same syptoms. As for removing the caliper, yes normally the pipe is screwed into the caliper so you have to take it off with the caliper detached from its mountings.

Reply to
adder1969

I think you'll find that the boots protecting brake pistons and track rod ends, are made from plastics like neoprene, which is virtually unnafected by grease and oil. Think of the boots protecting driveshaft CV joints, steering racks etc.

AFAIA manufacturers stopped making such parts from rubber based materials decades ago, so I don't think you need to worry about getting oil or grease on them. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks for that. I thought I'd heard that rubber parts nowadays were able to deal with engine oils and grease ok due synthetic materials used in making them. In the old days (pre 1980) I would be very careful if a drip of oil got on the radiator hoses and wipe it off straight away. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time a radiator hose went. They used to go all the time on 70's cars. Probably deteriorated quicker as were affected by grease and oil.

Reply to
Graham

I used to work in a factory that made radiator hoses and I could easily see why they weren't very reliable.

Reply to
adder1969

It's always better to just go and get a new caliper in my experience. ...but one has to ask how the OP knows the caliper is binding.

Recon or even new OE (eg GSF / eurocarparts) calipers are not dear, replace it- they're not worth arseing about with.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..