bmw 635 starting problem

I have a problem with my 6 series. There is fuel getting to the engine and there is a spark at the plugs, but i have great difficulty starting it. After further investigation i found a component situated at right angles to the air intake pipe between the air filter and engine ( possibly the fuel throttle butterfly switch? ). Sometimes it hums, sometimes it dosen't. It apppears to operate a valve between the exhaust manifold and air intake pipe. When I removed the component and observed it operating it appeared to be only half closing on some occaisions. Soaked it in WD40 and replaced. Now sometimes the car starts no problem and sometimes it takes up to 10 attempts with the occaisional loud back fire when it finally starts. Once running its fine. The question is does anybody know if a fault with the above component would cause the problems I'm experiencing or if I need to look further. Thanks.

Reply to
verity

It's the EGR valve. Remove it & seal both holes & see if the starting problem goes away.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Removed it, started first time, wouldn't tick over, died then back to 7 attempts to start! What exactly does the EGR valve do? Thanks

Reply to
verity

It recycles some exhuast gas into the inlet manifold to reduce combustion temperature & reduce NOx emissions. They normally choke up with carbon, carb cleaner could sort it out. Or it could just be a red herring & you've got an air leak at one of the manifolds.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for that will try cleaning it tommorow. Also now have second problem of irate girlfriend who has just found her shampoo and conditioner bottles in the shower with the tops covered in oil ( they just happened to be the perfect size for plugs ). So its off to shops tommorow for carb cleaner and flowers.

Reply to
verity