Car ramp problem

Hi all (again!),

I'm having a stupid problem with my new car ramps in that I can't get the car on top of them :)

They're the Halfords own brand and are fairly typical. The max tyre size quoted in the instructions is my tyre size (185R14).

When I try going forwards onto them I can get up almost to the top but when it tries to mount the highest rung what I think happens it that the tyres bounce a bit, the ramp starts to slide back as the weight comes off and the weight coming back down (on the slope side of the top rung) causes the ramp to shoot backwards and the car crashes back down.

Reversing the car onto them is even harder, that seems to happen on the very first rung!

I had to stop trying quite quickly as the clutch was overheating, any helpful hints on what I'm doing wrong!! ? :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

What you need are a couple of ratchet straps - attach one end to the ramps, and lay the straps out so the opposite end of the car is driving over them, IYSWIM.

The tension in the straps stops the ramps sliding as you drive up them.

Reply to
SteveH

If your car is rearwheel drive, it can be difficult to stop the ramps sliding away from the front of the car, ways round it include tying a rope to the ramp which your rear wheels drive on, to prevent the ramp slipping forward. Or a long bit of carpet does the trick too. Or stake the ramps or increase friction on the ground.

My choice would be to jack up one side at a time and stick the ramp under, yes, I realise this is using the ramps as blocks.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Peter Spikings contains these words:

Either put them against a kerb so they can't slide away, or get some strips of old carpet and make tails. A strip a yard long and as wide as the ramps, looped round the first bar and led doubled back towards the car so the tyre's already sitting on it before it hits the ramp.

Reply to
Guy King

I put the ramps on some old camping mats works pretty well for me.

- e.g. like these

As suggested, I guess old carpet would work too.

Reply to
xscope