Both front headlights gone

Both my headlights were working fine last week, tonight I noticed that they were both not working. It could be that both bulbs have gone but that may be unlikely - where do I check to see if the fuse is ok? Can I get one from Halfords?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

I should say that this is on a Mk2 Mondeo.

Thanks again

Reply to
Scooby Doo

First time, remove glovebox and pull the little toggle and the fusebox will drop down. Second time, you'll know where it is and be able to do it without removing the glovebox.

They're coloured plastic "blade" fuses, available anywhere.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I've had both bulbs go at the same time before, so it's unusual, but not impossible. I suspect in my case that a power surge was the problem.

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

Actually, it was my headlamps that were blown. Went to Halfords on Good Friday and got the bloke to change them both - and hey presto, it worked. A bit unusual that they both went, but I guess it does happen.

Btw, for those that knock Halfords (or Halfrauds) - I tried everywhere on Fri morning but couldn't find a garage open, except for Halfords and I was very grateful as I had a long trip to York that morning.

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Get a DVM and check the alternator charging voltage. It's quite common for the headlamp bulbs to blow first if the alternator is supplying excess voltage. You should see 13.8v (+ or - 0.5v) across the battery with the engine running and the headlights on.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Mine normally go within a week of each other - I always replace them in pairs.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp