Brake Caliper Overhaul.......

Hi all,

Currently overhauling a pair of front calipers...I was just wondering what type of grease should be used on the sliders? Nothing was supplied with the seal kit....

I would assume this is a special..high temp lubricant?? Any ideas??

TIA.

Reply to
Sir Richard Richard

If you mean the hydraulic pistons, a smear of rubber grease.

If you mean sliders in as the whole caliper sliding, BMW style, they should just be clean - the seals keep the muck out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm looking into this too, apparently you need high temperature lithium grease - not sure if Halfords would sell this or not.

Reply to
Johnny

I've never had a problem with using auto tranny fluid, but only the slightest smear of it no doubt everyone else here will say it's the worst thing to use, but as I've said, I never had any problems with it and I've been doing it for years and years

Reply to
dojj

Copper grease, goddammit. Copper grease everywhere.

Reply to
Grunff

Copper grease, I'm told, will eventually clog up the sliders.

Reply to
Johnny

Yes, I'm told this also, but 10 years of using it on calipers without any problems tells me otherwise.

Reply to
Grunff

Lockheed used to produce something years ago called iirc Expander lubricant which was similar to Coppaslip but with a more gold colour and more viscous.....presumably a high temperature metalised grease

Reply to
ph12

........ and quite possibly skin cancer too! ;0(

Reply to
""manx.exile "

?? What??

Reply to
Grunff

The message from Grunff contains these words:

Must admit, I've not had problems with it either.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Grunff contains these words:

I suspect that if you look carefully you'll find that almost all automotive fluids and greases and powders and things are harmful and should be used carefully. Personally I get through boxes and boxes of latex gloves 'cos it's better than a)having grubby hands for ages afterwards - however hard I scrub with no matter what the dirt still gets ingrained even with barrier cream and b) the wife doesn't say "You're not coming near me with hands like that".

Reply to
Guy King

I also use gloves all the time. While I'm sure that most greases and oils are harmful, that's a long way from being carcinogenic. The two don't go hand in hand.

There's no reason I know of why copper grease would/should be carcinogenic. It's just petroleum grease with copper dust. Neither one of these components is carcinogenic.

Reply to
Grunff

'tis what I used and they still working!

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

The message from Grunff contains these words:

When clean they're probably not too bad, but old engine oil has all sorts of really narsty organic compounds in it, many of which are almost certainly carcinogenic - benzene, for example, will find its way in from fuel condensates.

Reply to
Guy King

That'll be alright, then, as I rarely get it on my hands. Usually splashes straight in the eyes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No argument there - I was questioning the assertion that copper grease is specifically carcinogenic.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Or drips straight in the ear.

I once had a MIG welder spatter go straight into my ear. I could hear all the hairs crackling. Not nice.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Grunff contains these words:

Some Yank has probably discovered that if you feed half a ton of it to a rat it dies.

Reply to
Guy King