bubbling sound when accelerating

I have recently bought a renault 5 tl le car. when i bought it the previous owner said he had removed the heater from the coolant system as it was not working, looping a hose between the points they were attached. After i re-attached the hose the temp light came on in the car, after driving for anything between 1 and 5 miles. So i removed the heater again and bled the system, but the light is still showing, with a bubbling sound coming from the expansion tank when i accelerate. I have been told to replace the cap on the expanson tank and see if this still happens, is this likely to cure it or will it be the more expensive and dreaded head gasket?

Reply to
andrew3891

It may be head gasket and the cap but it sounds to me like you have not bled it properly. heaters can be particularly difficult to bleed. Did you use a raised 'head of coolant' to bleed it?

If you had no problems when the heater was bypassed it is unlikely to be the head gasket or the cap. It is more likely to be a split or blocked heater matrix.

As a matter of interest, why disconnect the heater matrix just because it is not working? There had to be more to it than that. I suspect it was leaking.

Alan

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Will try bleeding it for a while tomorrow, will have to get some coolant though. And then go about sorting the heater out, it's a bit cold driving around at the momoent:)

I do know i had to get a screw fitted to the bleed pipe on the heater matrix as it was missing. So it could have been something as simple as that, but the heater still didn't work when i had it all connected. Will look into that another time though.

many thanks for the info

Reply to
andrew3891

Isn't this the engine that has liners?

Reply to
Conor

There are several bleed screws in the hoses and if my memory serves me right one by the thermostat housing. Always turn the heater to hot when bleeding / topping up.Try leaving it run with the filler cap off and a hose pipe trickling in for a while.

Reply to
a.n.other

Unfortunately it has turned out to be the head gasket, it went yesterday in a big plume of smoke. So i'll be attempting that during the week, or as soon as i get all the parts together.

Reply to
andrew3891