Ford Focus turn signals...

Recently bought a 2001 Ford Focus from a Rent a Car Co - good buy with a so-so warranty etc. Discovered after taking possession that the turn signals did NOT turn OFF after the turn has been made [ the mechanical turn signal cancel system doesn't work ]. The Vendor says "oh we have that problem with all of out Focuses [Foci? ]", and refuses to repair. Question? Is the turn signal cancel system on Foci a 'known problem' ? Or am I being snowed? [Me, I'm reluctant to repair, with the Airbag in the steering wheel. How do you get the wheel OFF without triggering the airbag? ].

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

***
Reply to
jhewitt

( snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I *hate* self-cancelling indicators.

Sounds like a bonus to me.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm with you. Have you driven one of those Vauxhalls with the daft indicator system? Touch it once and it indicates for three (or is it five?) clicks. Then you try to cancel it and it indicates the other direction. You cancel that and it's back the other way. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

yes i've done a few the switch is ok , the problem is on the air-bag slip ring (the cancelation cam snaps off) to remove s/wheel;disconnect the battery for 15 mins. then at the back there is 2 bolts keeping the air-bag on

Reply to
ford_technical_

davek ( snipped-for-privacy@brentmere53.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Dear god, no. I do have *some* standards...

Reply to
Adrian

company car does that :(

if u want to stop it, light pressure on stalk, in the direction its ALREaDY flashing.

.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Or a light press in the opposite direction.

Main point to remember with them, is the switch is a two stage switch. They're certainly not any good for people who lack finesse.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain