Rounded screw

I've rounded an old allen bolt in the door handle on my spare golf. Dremelling a slot into it isn't getting me anywhere due to the fact that there's a lot of door handle in the way.

Any ideas as to how to undo it? I reckon it's seized up too...

Reply to
Doki

On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:53:32 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from Doki:

Blowtorch? WD40?

Reply to
Alex Buell

Hammering a torx bit in sometimes works (did on my 4mm allen key bolts)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Come on. Plastic door handle. Tried plusgas.

Reply to
Doki

Not easily done in the middle of a door skin. Too much give. Might get the drill out and give it some abuse. Actually. Brainwave: slot the end of the screw rather than the head, and try winding it out like a grub screw. Much easier access there...

Reply to
Doki

You don't have to hit it that hard. Worth a try if you've got a suitably sized torx bit.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Assuming you can get a drill to it, drill off the head. At least with allen heads you start with decent location for the bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the plan for next week. Shame about the decent location for the bit ;).

Reply to
Doki

Homebase are selling some sort of fancy screwdriver for removing knackered screws. Might be worth a look.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Bugger that. They're expensive. I'll drill it out and get a tap.

Reply to
Doki

You may be referring to this one: Screw Extractor Set

bought one from Robert Dyas Ltd in Harrow not that long ago (020 84272904), but haven't tried it out yet. It works by turning anticlockwise anddigs itself into the screw, seizing it and extracting it. It looked simplefrom the video in the shop.

Reply to
Lin Chung

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

Is there a straight enough line to it to be able to drill the head off?

Reply to
Guy King

Boring on an allen bolt though, left hand spiral drill bit's are worth a try.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Love the related products...

Reply to