car battery knackered

My car batter has been low for a good few weeks, and in the last week when I turn the key it doesn't make any noise at all, and when it's push started and driven fore 30 minutes, it doesn't seem to charge up.

I've connected it up to a charger today to see if that will get it going for a bit. Do you think it'll work? The charger was reading 3A when it started and 1 1/2 hours later it's reading 2A.

Going to get a new battery on Monday but do you think this charging will work or am I wasting my time?

Reply to
neutron

It should certainly charge up enough after 30 minutes. You need to check the alternator is doing its work - wire a DVM across the battery and you should see something over 14 volts with the engine running, dropping to perhaps just under 14 if the battery is charged. After leaving overnight, a decent battery will show about 12.5v before starting. If you are seeing this and the battery still won't start the car there's a good chance it's had it. But most sellers of batteries will do you a free check.

That would suggest it's either near fully charged or knackered. A good but low charge battery would stay at the higher rate for many hours.

Well it's not costing anything. But modern cars should keep the battery reasonably well charged even with short journeys. My journey to work is only about 15 minutes with lights and everything on at this time of the year. Usually with a stop at the shops too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wasting your time. Looks like it doesn't hold up under load because one or more cells are knackered.

Reply to
Conor