Car gutless after water pump change?..

A local garage had had my now rather elderly Audi A6 in for an MOT and also a noisy water pump and thermostat change, as the heater was almost going into reverse recently more cooling than heating;!..

However when I went to collect it earlier and drove off in it, it was absolutely lifeless a short drive up a small railway bridge needed 2nd Gear and foot almost to the floor!. No misfire but sounds slightly different as if the exhaust was blowing. Although done some miles it still had a lot of grunt and pulled very well.

They had got the heater sorted, warm as toast but as said lifeless. Now I went back there just before they closed and there was muttering that they might have to alter the distributor which they couldn't undo so I said sort it tomorrow and left it at that.

Now JOOI they said to change the water pump they'd have to have removed the cambelt on that model and I suppose they just might have got the belt a notch out of place. Would that give the symptoms as described?. Also why alter the distributor when surely thats driven off the crankshaft?.

Seems they've just made a bit of a c*ck up and I'm sure they'll sort it but out of curiosity anyone any opinions as to why its behaving like this?..

Cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer

cambelt one tooth retarded will have the effect you describe

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mine was timed up from the factory 1 tooth out, so if you put the belt on to line up with the marks it was utterly useless.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A 'tooth' out on the valve timing seems likely. Lucky the valves ain't meeting the pistons...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A friend drove a pinto engined sierra for several years and was quite happy with it, I changed the cambelt and found it was a tooth out on the cam although the ign. timing (separate distributor) was correct. I fitted a new belt correctly and retimed the ignition to normal, the car was transformed in performance, BUT he complained that although it went better, it needed a lower gear than it did before and was slightly less economical !!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

LOL never happy.

Reply to