Car not run for 6 months (classic mini) - what do I need to be aware of?

Battery undoubtedly flat.

Apart from that, should I be aware of anything else? Or just charge battery, connect it up and hope for the best?

Generally, I appreciate 6 months is a bit long but how long before you can cause damage to engine by not running it?

Reply to
paulfoel

in such a short time nothing will be wrong, I recently restarted my landrover after 15 years: ran like a watch within a half hour, the viva ran well after 20 years standing, slightly more tricky but nothing serious. within about two years anything should just start and run, after that petrol tends to go off.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Heard the thing about petrol etc but didnt realise it was that long.

Someone else mentioned about cranking it first to ensure oil pressure?

I guess then its a bit of a myth that engines sieze up after a few months?

Reply to
paulfoel

if you want to make it all into more of a drama then take all the spark plugs out and spin it over till the oil light goes out. (if it has fuel injection you should disconnect the injector to avoid excess fuel being pumped in, with a carb this is not a problem)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Damage to the engine at 6 months is very unlikely; 6 years probably wouldn't be a problem.

The battery plates may have sulphated beyond recovery, and not accept a full charge.

The handbrake may have seized on. You can generally lever the quadrants around to free it off.

If it has C/B points, and it stopped with them open, the points may have enough corrosion on them to prevent a spark.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

After 6mo, I'd just grab the jump box, and turn the key.

VERY unlikely unless it was old and knackered anyway. We regularly leave one of the cars over winter. Sometimes, I remember to disconnect the earth lead, not always. One of the others was left across 18mo+ recently.

The battery in the summer-only one is now about 12yo. The other one's approaching 4-5yo. Both are just fine.

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

It depends on the age of the battery, the state of charge is was left in before storage, and what if any drain there has been.

A perfectly good battery can be degraded significantly if left completely flat in a matter of weeks.

Older vehicles with little if any quiescent drain?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

All of my garden machinery would be dead if that was true.

Reply to
Duncan Wood