2003 Sierra Radio Problem

I have a single CD, RDS radio that seems to work just fine playing commericial CDs. However, when I play a COPY that I made of a commericial CD it will play for a few minutes and then stop. When I remove the CD is seems warm to the touch. The CDs that fail have a paper label on them. I have not isolated the problem to the labels though, because I have other copies with labels that work just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? My Brother-In-Law has a 2003 Chevy that does the same thing which makes me think it is something in the design of the radio. All of the CDs played fine in my 2000 Sierra that I traded in and in my friends radios.

Reply to
Snake Man

Some players can be picky about the kind of discs that they will play - try a different brand of CD-R blanks. Also, the burning speed you use can sometimes make a difference - some players may prefer discs burned at below maximum speed.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

This taken from the owners manual for a 2003 GMC single CD radio with RDS............... Insert a disc partway into the slot, label side up. The player will pull it in and the disc should begin playing. The display will show the CD symbol. If you want to insert a compact disc with the ignition off, first press TUNE or the eject symbol.

If playing a CD-R the sound quality may be reduced due to CD-R quality, the method of recording, the quality of the music that has been recorded and the way the CD-R has been handled. You may experience an increase in skipping, difficulty in finding tracks and/or difficulty in loading and ejecting. If these problems occur try a known good CD.

Do not add paper labels to discs, they could get caught in the CD player.

Reply to
jones.family

Reply to
Snake Man

It's most likely not to thick. Its most likey to heavy for that players spindle motor.

Reply to
Masterson

I think there is a pending software fix for this issue.

Reply to
Baboo

You would be wrong. Current GM radios dont have the ability to recieve software or firmware upgrades.

There may be a running change in future production.

Reply to
Masterson

Reply to
Snake Man

You should buy a new stereo at

NEW AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player for about $140 or so

Reply to
Im Right

The following current GM vehicles have radios that contain upgradable firmware.

2003 C/K vehicles 2003 G/H vans 2003-04 Hummer H2 2004 all light and medium duty trucks

Roger

Reply to
zroger73

guess there is no software update for this. sorry.

Reply to
Baboo

Roger, Please dont be confused with Class Two Data bus information changes. Using a Tech 2, yes you can update low level eprom info, but not alter the firmware used by the microprocessor, or change the firmware, that the OP was asking for, to allow the laser to refocus on different quality burned CD-R's. This is not possible.

The type of 'upgrading' that can be done are things like changing the volume of the door chime, or resetting the error collection settings, or altering the SVC settings......and so on. They are like changing menu options.

By the way, GM vehicles that have Class Two have had this type of 'feature' since 1998 Cadallic's and 2000 Chevy and Pontiac's,

Reply to
Masterson