Car tax refund ?

My 6 months tax expires in march 07..if i cash in before end of this month how much do i get back? Is it 4 months prorata or some silly percentage of the actual value? Tks

Reply to
Capt T

I cashed one in a few yearsa ago and got back the full value for full the months remaining before it arrived with them. If you got it to them tomorrow you'd be reimbursed for December also.

But you'll have to be quick.

Reply to
Billy H

if you want to get december back from it, take it to your local DVLA office today or tomorrow.

Reply to
bongo

I'd recommend tomorrow as they'll be shut today.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:ekc1ob$c0j$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

good point, i forgot its sunday :)

take it in , monday, tuesday, wensday, thursday,

Reply to
bongo

Trouble is that the cost of a a 6 month tax disc includes an additional one-off payment (extra 20%?) for it being 6mth rather than 12mth - and you don't get back any of that premium, only what's left pro-rata (in complete months) of the remaining tax. So what you'll get back is one-twelfth of the cost of the full 12-month tax disc for each complete month that remains.

I wouldn't bother going to your local DVLA office as they don't give you money on the spot anyway, and the queues can be dire. I would download the licence refund form from the DVLA website (might be a V62, not sure, but it is on there), print it off, fill it in, and then either

a) post it tonight first class, so it goes first thing in the morning, should be there next day or two at the outside unless you live in Orkney or something or you know your local post is really shit

or

b) take it into a Post Office tomorrow, hand it over the counter and ask for a free certificate of posting

If you were really paranoid you could pay for it to go guaranteed next-day delivery but I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

or Wednesday...........

Reply to
Lez Pawl

picky sod :c)

Reply to
bongo

No, it's a fair point, Odin / Woden zaps people with thunderbolts who get the name of his day wrong :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Just checked, premium is 10%, so what you get back is (X / 1.1) * 2/3, where X is whatever you paid for the tax - so 0.606 of what you paid.

Sorry, V14. Here you go:

Clearly says that you get back however many complete months were left when you posted it, not when they received it, so just get it in the post pronto and you should be OK.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

you lose the 10 percent premium you paid when you bought it, you get a pro rata refund of any whole months left, they go by posting franking date, so you can post it during the last day of the month if there is a collection (so not if it is a Sunday or bank holiday) I would try and post it a day or two before to be safe.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful