Car Windcreen

I know this is likely the oldest of Chestnuts. But with Chemistry advancing on all the time, has their been recently any developments with someone producing a good screen wash?

I thought i had brought a good one, but it just leaves smears and some kind of film when it dries, however strong i mix it.

I know the Chauffeurs years ago only ever washed and dried their windscreen with water. But is that still the best way?

I've found using kitchen 'Cleaning Cream' (like Jif) gets rid of London grease the best I know of, but is this likely causing issues with the screen wash, even though i rinse it off very thoroughly ? Thanks for any advice, on screen wash and methods.

Reply to
john west

I use Sonax 100:1 screenwash in summer (because the bottle is tiny, the water is in the tap and it seems to be a very effective cleaner (as good as any other).

In winter I usually keep using the Sonax, but adding it to the cheapest antifreeze screenwash I can buy.

Tim Watts

What's on the screen? Mashed fly is awful, smears like billyo. Repeated washes can shift it, apart from the impact marks.Impact marks really only shift in a steady rain with the wipers on all the time. Otherwise manually remove them with a *non* *scratch* washing up sponge and water.

Just "traffic film" isn't normally too much of a hassle.

Condition of wiper blades is critical. If they don't wipe well after cleaning and if a black residue is left on the cleaning cloth/sponge it's probably worth changing them.

Do you wash the car? If so do you use a car wash with a "wax" option? The last thing you want on the screen is any form of wax or polish... Same applies to additives to a pressure washer and home washing.

Washer fluid, I use "Prestone Extreme Visibilty Concentrate" blue stuff, diluted 1:4 all year. Prestone have buggered about with their product names and maybe product, I think the above is now yellow and called "Extreme Performance ScreenWash", still a concentrate rather than "ready to use" and protects down to -23 C

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Are you certain your wiper blades are good? All screen cleaners will leave residue on the parts the wipers move the muck to.

My favourite screen wash is genuine BMW stuff. Mainly because of the smell. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Tim Watts writes

What happened to the concentrated screenwash that Lidl, and once Aldi used to sell? It came in containers like the Sonax, worked well and was much cheaper.

Now they only seem to do the ready diluted stuff in 5 litre containers. I have a bad back.

Last night I used what might have been Windolene in an old squirter that I found in the garage. Did a long trip this morning and didn't notice the screens or mirrors at all. Unlike yesterday before the clean.

Reply to
Bill

I buy 5 litre containers of concentrate from the local motor parts place.

I wouldn't personally touch Amazon, but as an example:

Bob Eager

On my fleet and all customer cars, I use Prestone, from Costco, at a

50/50 with soft water, works well, and smells nice.
Reply to
MrCheerful

While I use a 'non-scratch' sponge on windscreens etc, I've seen people recommend very fine steel wool. I've never tried it on a windscreen, I bottled it to be honest, but I did try it on a bit of stray glass (from a scrap Scanner bed). I couldn't see an visible scratches / hazing etc after a good rub with some soapy water.

Using steel wool with soapy water is part of several 'super windscreen clean' regimes I've seen in various places- used prior to apply some special coating - I think 'Windex' or similar, supposedly it helps keep the windscreen clean (I've not tried it). I am, however, curious re such coatings as our motorhome lives outside and the windscreen is a pain in the b*m to clean.

Reply to
Brian Reay

When we used a campervan, I used to get up early each day and clean the glass with hot water, a drop of fairy and newspaper, after two or three days the glass was like new again. Repeat each holiday.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The problem is reaching it, it is a Ducato.

Reply to
Brian Reay

door open, stand inside and lean around, or park nose up to a short wall and stand on that.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Mine is VW/Audi/Seat because it's not smeary (and also because it doesn't smell vile like some do).

Ultrafine wire wool soaked in meths is good for shifting stubborn flies etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You must have long arms ;-)

The wall idea is a possibility. Our drive has quite a slope so I can't use a step ladder.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Best thing is to stay away from automatic car washes and dodgy "hand" washes - unless you know there's an option to not have wax. I've kept wax off my windscreen except on one occasion and it took ages with glass cleaner and time before it stopped smearing! Probably changed the blades too (they were due anyway)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Used by people with BMW Driving Gloves.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Glass, yes what happened to that coating for Glass that was on Tomorrows World in the 70s that was supposed to stop all muck sticking and you just hosed it down. I blame lime trees in streets though. If you have those nothing but nothing seems to have been made efficient at cleaning it off any surface without a lot of elbow Grease. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It might help if in a rush. But I'd rather use a solvent than abrasive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely. But then I never ever use a car wash anyway. They all scratch the paint to some extent.

Even not having off street parking, it's no problem to wash the car at home. Don't care if it is illegal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah but newspapers ain't what they used to be. I reckon the paper used to be akin to microfibre cloth and the ink to microparticles. Modern papers...[continued on pages 145-163]

Reply to
Robin

Peter Hill