car windscreen

I have now had a reply from Volvo saying that as the car is outwith warranty they will not help. I cannot be bothered pursuing a case against the dealer from whom I bought the car. Have written Volvo again as this local Volvo dealer will not give me an assurance that he will accept responsibility if he breaks the windscreen when taking it out to reseal it; he expects me to carry the risk. I am in no hurry to get the windscreen fixed so will keep writing etc.. If no success will buy car body sealer (clear) from my local Dingbro car maintenance parts shop. Thanks to all.

I have a Volvo V50 and it is now 3 years old. When I pressure wash the roof there is slight leak of water into the top edge of the windscreen, no leak in normal running despite heavy rain. It is not enough to bother me but my Volvo dealer tells me that to remove and reseal the windscreen will cost £80. That would be OK but they also say that if it cracks when they are removing it the cost of a new screen will be £450, the risk will be mine! Rather than take the chance I am wondering if there is any sealing fluid that I can apply to the top of the windscreen. It is the usual modern pressed in type with a narrow gap along the edges. Does anyone know of a sealing compound that would do the job? Thank you

Reply to
Stewart

I think you should argue forcibly that no windscreen should leak *ever* and it's clearly a manufacturing fault and as such, it's not fit for purpose (namely keeping the weather out).

My brother had a similar situation with a leaking roof on a second hand Honda Jazz and successfully argued that as roofs should not leak ever, it had to be a manufacturing fault. They repaired it gratis eventually. Your local citizens advice bureau may be able help. Also worth asking in UK.legal.moderated.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I am still trying to get Strathmore Volvo of Perth to accept responsibility. Despite sending them a recorded delivery letter quoting Sale of Goods Act they have not even acknowledged receipt of the letter. I have bought more than 3 new cars from them and doubt if I shall give them my custom next time. Still no urgency, will give them another couple of weeks.

[...]

I am pleased to say that Strathmore Volvo in Perth resealed my windscreen on Friday at no cost to me. It took several letters to get to that stage but well done Strathmore. Thanks to all who gave advice.

I have a Volvo V50 and it is now 3 years old. When I pressure wash the roof there is slight leak of water into the top edge of the windscreen, no leak in normal running despite heavy rain. It is not enough to bother me but my Volvo dealer tells me that to remove and reseal the windscreen will cost £80. That would be OK but they also say that if it cracks when they are removing it the cost of a new screen will be £450, the risk will be mine! Rather than take the chance I am wondering if there is any sealing fluid that I can apply to the top of the windscreen. It is the usual modern pressed in type with a narrow gap along the edges. Does anyone know of a sealing compound that would do the job? Thank you

Reply to
Stewart

Good but you really shouldn't have had to kick them around to do this.

Reply to
Peter Hill