Carisma misfiring problem

Hi was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with a problem with my 1998 1.6GL Mitsubishi Carisma.

I have had a misfiring problem over the last year or so, this happens on anything but light throttle openings. Suspecting a fault in the ignition system, I changed the spark plugs with no joy then the two coil packs and leads which cured the problem.

However a few months later, the misfiring came back. Reducing the spark plug gaps from 1mm to about half this cures the misfiring but causes pinking under load and an erratic idle.

The engine light goes out after starting the engine so I'm not suspecting any of the ECU sensors.

Could there be anything causing the coil packs to fail premuturely? Faulty ECU?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've heard that the coil packs do go on Carismas, but only had the alternator go on my 1.8glx in 100,000 miles.

If it is a misfire that normally occurrs when accelerating from cold, but occasionally at other times (sudden loss of power for a half to two seconds) then look at your MAP sensor on your inlet manifold - this ia a common problem on Proton cars, and they are based on Mitsubishi technology.

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Not at all mechanically minded, so this might be complete nonsense, but I had the exact same problem on a Colt.

Mitsubishi hadn't got a clue what it was, despite having the car for two days, but a local garage fixed the problem *completely* by adjusting the tappets.

Russell

Reply to
Russell