VW Bora EPC warning

Can anybody tell me what it means when the EPC warning light comes on? Also we get a message when starting the car "Engine Workshop". The car stalls when the car is stood still in neutral unless I keep revving the engine. Could it be something simple like the timing belt? Or is it something more complicated? Any help appreciated.

Reply to
julieberry_67

It needs to have its codes read and something repaired. The timing belt is unlikely to be the cause, as it would not run at all if the belt was broken and slippage is very, very (read impossible) unlikely. If it has been faulty since a new belt has been fitted, then mistiming is a possibility.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks MrCheerful. Was hoping to avoid taking it to the dealer, but it looks like I'll have to. Thanks anyway. :o))

Reply to
julieberry_67

Does the engine misfire? - it could be a blown coil pack. This is what happened to my Bora. Have a look at :-

states :- "March 2003: Ignition Coils - Important Information

It has been reported that misfiring can occur on vehicles with 1.8T, V5, V6 and W8 petrol engines and can lead to erratic engine operation or reduced engine performance. The problem is caused by an electrical fault in the ignition coil and in no way endangers the driver or the car. We have not therefore, issued a recall notice in respect of affected vehicles as this is not a safety related issue.

This type of ignition system uses an ignition coil for each cylinder. Should a failure occur, one cylinder will fail to provide power. At this point the engine management warning light will be illuminated instructing the driver to drive to their nearest Volkswagen retailer.

We acknowledge and sincerely regret that some drivers have been inconvenienced and wherever possible, we have and will continue to provide a loan car whenever a customer's vehicle has been awaiting replacement parts.

Customers will not be charged for these repairs.

If you have experienced this problem with your vehicle or your engine management warning light illuminates, please go to your nearest Volkswagen retailer for assistance. "

I got them to change all 4 packs when I took mine in.

Reply to
xscope

Reply to
Keen Feltcher

Light rather than the EPC. One possibility for EPC is a fault with the drive-by-wire throttle system

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info