Cavalier audible alarm

I've recently bought a German Opel Vectra GL, but its the model we know in the UK as a Cavalier

Had a strange alarm recently, going down the motorway at first sounded like metal on metal from lhs front, putin neutral and stopped the engine, alarm stayed on, drove from side to side to put load on each corner, no change in alarm noise, braked no change alarm still sounds. Just got through MOT so pads are all ok

The when I switched off the ignition, the alarm stopped. No dashboard warning lights lit though

Looked under the bonnet and the only fluid level with a sensor is brake fluid and this is ok Fiddled with all the wires and since then the alarm has not sounded.

I wondered what is could have been, anyone know what could cause an alarm to sound?

cheers

martin

Reply to
bluechip

The "MOT" is only a test of the condition of safety items *at the time of testing*. If there is sufficient pad material to complete the test, it's a pass.

It is *not* a substitute for proper servicing, which would include a pad inspection for sufficient thickness to be safe to the next service.

If you suspect this alarm might be caused by worn brake components, get it checked out now!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The only 2 audio alarms I know of on the Cav are the lights on buzzer when you open the door, and one that sounds when you indicate with a trailer connected up

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

How do you know? There's no visual inspection of the pads.

Reply to
Conor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.karoo.co.uk, Conor wittered on forthwith;

Any decent MOT tester will have a look at the pads. Not by taking the wheel off, but by shining his torch through the holes in the wheel rim.

This morning I was advised about front pads on a Honda Legend I took for an MOT "Couple of thousand miles left on 'em, change them soon", on Friday I was verbally advised by the same tester about rear pads on the Audi A3 I took for an MOT "Not much meat left on rear pads, have a look at them some time soon".

This may be because I take about 15-20 cars a month for MOT tests, mainly to the same garage, but if a tester didn't tell me about low pads I'd not go to that garage again.

The visual pad inspection may not be part of the test (although I believe it is as I've had advisorys on brake pads and / or disc condition) but any decent tester will warn you if your pads are low.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M formulated the question :

Even if you cannot actually see one side of the pad set, you can feel the depth with your finger tips. All testers I have come across check them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd like to see you check mine. There's not a lot of room between the caliper and the band.

Reply to
Conor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.karoo.co.uk, Conor wittered on forthwith;

On the Capri? Piece of piss!.