choosing out of a fiesta or polo

Youngster needs an in-expensive motor for mainly use in London. Because there are so many about we thought he could get a good price on either a secondhand fiesta or a Polo.

Is there any particular versions or engine variants of these cars that are the least likely to give any expensive troubles ? Thanks.

Reply to
john east

Not a direct answer, but just in case you haven't considered it; check insurance costs using online sites, and "theoretical" cars of both types, together with various engine options.

Mentioning "youngster" and "London" in connection with a cheap car makes it likely that the insurance costs will exceed the value of the car.

In order for a considered answer, you need to provide a budget figure, and/or an age of vehicle. The various models of Fiesta, for example, will have a very great range of pros and cons.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. Perhaps shouldn't have used the word youngster since he's in his late twenties, we forget how they grow up. Guess the budget is about £2000 or so, preferably a bit less; if it can be managed for something fairly trouble free.

Reply to
john east
[...]

Unless personal preference comes into play, I would search on the basis of the best car I could get for the money (between the Fiesta and the Polo). There will be lots of choice, and repairs should be reasonable.

Most frequent recommendation here for small, cheap cars is for the Micra; OK if you can overcome any image aversion!

If you haven't already done so, I still advise checking insurance costs. My niece is the same sort of age; she had been living in Berkshire, and driving a Fiesta for two years. She recently moved to London, and the best premium she could get was more than double what she had been paying. When she factored in the cost of an annual council parking permit, and the need to sometimes pay the congestion charge, she sold her car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You might want to look at stuff with even less street cred like a Micra, Corsa, or Panda. IMHO the difference between the best and the worst types is much less than it used to be, it's more important to try to find something in good condition, whatever the make and model. Has it been messed around with? Different wheels, lowered suspension: don't touch it. Even mileage is not that important, if it sounds OK and doesn't smoke too much (take oil filler cap off while engine is running).

But start with an insurance survey.

Reply to
newshound

Some bottom-of-the-range Fiestas had a 1.3 litre, 8 valve "Endura-E" engine. This has a tendency to become permanently attached to its spark plugs, and sounds like a bag of spanners at all times. Apart from that, it's OK.

Reply to
RustyCrampon