Cleaning diesel tank - fuel starvation?

Hello, Old Mercedes with a 240D engine fitted, seems to have a fuel starvation problem. It cut out on me the other day so I've changed the filters and got it going again. Running now but stuttering under load and the rate of fuel getting through seems to vary a lot.

I'm a bit ignorant at how diesels work but I wonder is the tank full of gunk as the car has been sitting unused for the last couple of years and only started getting use again recently... it's had some fresh fuel since. So, before I suspect the diesel pump, I think I should check the tank for rust or gunk. Question is how? Empty the tank and then what...?

OK, it could be the pump is knackered, but I don't know how to check that. Another thing I've noticed is that after the car's run for a while, if I remove the fuel cap there's a great whoosh of air...why? The pump is sucking but not getting fuel???

TIA!

Reply to
Sean

I know nothing about the car, but the whoosh of air when you take the filler cap off - I take it it's a rush of air *into* the tank?

If so, does the car have a breather on the tank, or breath through the cap? It sounds like as fuel goes out, air's not going in.

Reply to
Stuffed

I suppose the tank has a breather; I don't know. However, the cap doesn't appear to have a breather. It forms a good seal, so the whoosh of air must be going in.

Reply to
Sean

Sounds like a blocked breather. Try running the car with the fuel cap left off, and see how it goes. If it goes fine, then you'll have to find the breather and clean it out.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Sounds like a plan - thanks! I'll see how I get on.

Reply to
Sean

i have a 190E 2.0 manual 1988, that sounds like the fuel pump is struggling and making whining sounds sometimes really loudly.

and when i take the fuel cap off after 1 week of driving i also get a whoosh..

where is the breather located on the 190E 1988 2.0 manual?

thanks k.

edinburgh

Reply to
a8359