Clio screeching in wet weather?

does anyone know why, in wet weather, my clio 1.4 automatic, screeches on start-up and pulling away at junctions. it's o.k when its dry! any advice appreciated, thanx.

Reply to
simonpentecost

The fan belt is slipping.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comma (Dave Baker) contains these words:

Or possibly the PAS belt.

Reply to
Guy King

Commonly a drive belt - first guess would be the alternator one since this is under its greatest load just after start up as it re-charges the battery. If it's been doing this for a while, replace it as it's likely to fail totally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Agreed, but if most journeys are less than 20 minutes and you live close to a parts shop, it's no great hassle if it does fail. Tightening it up is only likely to stop the screech for a couple of weeks.

If the PAS belt was slipping, when you were turning on full lock it would screech and the steering would become heavy. If it breaks you will get good exercise until you fix it.

If it's the alternator belt, it usually only slips at certain speeds or in certain conditions. Occasionally the battery light might flicker on the instrument panel as it slips. If it breaks, the battery light should come on and stay on. You will have more or less 30 minutes driving before the car splutters to a halt with a flat battery. Lights, wipers, fan and worst of all starter motor and heated window will drain the battery faster.

___

DP