Coolant change, to flush or not to flush

Hi guys.

Car Vx Corsa 1.7D

I need to change a coolant hose on my car, so am taking the opportunity to change to coolant too, ( not that I have much option really) I have heard about various coolant flushes, but I hear horror stories about them creating all sorts of leaks.

As the car has no other coolant issues, other than the worn pipe I was going to just run the hose pipe into the header tank fill the system up, let it fun for a few mins, then drain it down again, possibly running it through the rad for a while too.

All seem sensible?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Can't see why not ;-)

I changed the core plugs on my 2L Pinto the other day (seemed a good idea while it was on the bench) and found quite a few 'chunks' of

*stuff* in the back of the water jacket.

I'm not sure if I could have washed them out (without the core plug out) and if they had moved they might even have blocked something elsewhere?

With a flushing fluid (that may attempt to disolve something that could be 'blocking a hole') a leak is always a possibility?

But you can get other chemicals to fix that these days ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

What you're proposing is fine. If you don't mind a bit of extra work though I'd remove the radiator, turn it upside down and hose through it backwards. Also hose through the engine backwards. Do take your time refilling though to avoid air locks.

Coolant flushes won't by themselves cause leaks but if there is a very weak point in the system (such as a badly corroded core plug or a hole plugged by sealant) then it may cause that to fail. Of course, such weaknesses are ticking time-bombs anyway and will eventually fail even without the flusher.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis