Any advice on re-touching coloured bumpers?

What would be the best way of removing those white scuff marks from coloured bumpers (the car is a '96 Audi A6)? Is there special touch-up paint for bumpers? Best left to the pros? Any other advice welcome.

Reply to
John Prendergast

Cost me £100 to get a 24" split repaired and repainted on a bumper at a local bodyshop. Even though the car was 11 years old and metallic, the match was spot on and you couldn't see where it had been repaired.

Reply to
Conor

Do you want it 'better' or 'perfect'? I used normal body touch-up paint on my Mondeo and it was no longer noticeable from a difference. From close-up it was obvious.

Reply to
PM

Was it the aerosol or tube with a brush that you used?

Reply to
John Prendergast

Tube with brush. The car looked like it had been backed along a wall or summat, there were some quite deep gouges out of the plastic. I figured that for a garage to repair the bumper and my touch-up attempt would be no more costly than repairing the original scratches.

Others on this NG have used matchsticks or toothpicks rather than the brush to get paint into very fine scratches.

Reply to
PM

It's a pain in my experience. Fine paintbrushes from an artshop do the job well though.

Reply to
Doki

Which reminds me - last year (or before?) you seemed to spend a lot of time doing paintwork on your Ka. With hindsight, would a tin of hammerite have been a more appropriate solution? :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George