Coolant deterioration?

Just had my car serviced, was advised that the coolant is "weak" and needs replacing. The radiator was replaced by the same garage 2 years ago and they obviously put new coolant in then, and last year's check was OK.

I queried this since I have never topped the coolant up (with water or anything else), and was told that "the chemicals in the coolant deteriorate". Sounds like bullshit to me, is it?

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

No. Check your car's service schedule. You'll find that it specifies a coolant change roughly every 24k miles / 24 months.

It's a 15 minute job to do at home, for less than a fiver for the coolant. The consequences of not doing it will cost you a lot more - corrosion in the water channels in the block / head leading to blockages, overheating and blown head gaskets.

Reply to
SteveH

No. Over time, the rust inhibitor in the coolant gradually disappears. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Less than a Fiver? Lots of cars will need less than half a bottle of coolant, but a 5l bottle of coolant varies between about £8 to £15 (Ford's lilac variety) in my experience.

Reply to
Doki

I'm sure it cost me _loads_ less than that from Eurocarparts.

Reply to
SteveH

Depends which one you need :-(

Reply to
DuncanWood

I keep reading stuff about special coolants - but are they _really_ needed, or are they just a way to fleece you for fluids from the main dealer?

Reply to
SteveH

The Ford stuff is meant to last for ages. Doubt it's actually needed, but if it works out that you change it less often and so costs you less over time, you're winning.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks. I checked the schedule and it says the coolant needs replacing every

36,000 miles. As it was a 72,000 mile service it should have been included in the price they quoted me for the service...

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Let me see...

The coolant goes from cold to near boiling point and back at least once a day and does this under pressure. It flows around a metallic component which means that trcaes of iron or aluminium ends up being absorbed into it.

Reply to
Conor

Not necessarily. Many manufacturers dealers do not include brake fluid changes, coolant changes or cam belt changes in servicing even though the interval it is due conincides with a service. You have to request they're done seperately and alot of service books have a seperate entry for brake/coolant fluid changes.

Reply to
Conor

Bet you think they did a cam belt change in the 60K mile service. No they didn't unless you asked them to and paid for it on top of the normal service cost.

Peter Hill

Well some of them last longer (practically indefinitely for current VAG fluids) & some of them have much higher than normal levels of anticorrosion additives. Tis like oil, pay your money take your choice (looking at BASFs formulations it does appear that the red VAG one is different to the normal ethylene Glycol).

Reply to
DuncanWood

The service schedule clearly states extra charges are made for some things like cam belt replacement and brake fluid replacement. There is no mention of an extra charge for the scheduled coolant change. I'll phone them tomorrow...

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy