Corsa battery removal

Hi all,

I need to change the battery in the Corsa I mentioned before. I just had a go and failed because I can't see which screws I have to under to get the grill off! Can anyone who has the Haynes book for the 51-reg let me know what to undo?

Two major gripes with the design:

1) The battery lead colour. What moron decided to make the +ve lead black and the -ve lead red?

2) Position of battery. Not only is it hard to change but it's right under the drainage grill for water coming off the windscreen. Is it a good idea to have water pouring directly on the battery on a regular basis? I think not.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

I find that very, very difficult to believe... In fact I've got a tenner here that says it's bollocks.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

No, I'll just tell you you've got the battery connected the wrong way round. :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

If I take a picture of it, will you send me the tenner? :)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

:)

Seriously, it's true (and the car starts fine with it connected as it is!). One of my bosses was fooled by this when it tried to either jump start or by jump started by a Corsa. He must have done something like put the negative jump lead on the engine and the positive lead on the negative terminal thinking it was the positive terminal because of the red battery cable. Apparently it didn't take long for the jump leads to catch fire which deposited molten insulator onto the paint work of his car. He drives expensive sports cars and I imagine was not a happy bunny.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Sure it's not brown and black? In German basic car wiring, brown is ground and black live...

It's not been EU standardised like household stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Peter Spikings contains these words:

Ah, yes, I've met cars like that. Singularly moronic, isn't it?

Reply to
Guy King

Mmay well have been brown and black, I'm a bit colour blind.... definitely black and a colour with red as a constituent :)

Anyone got the relevant Haynes manual on how to get the drainage grill off? Don't want to buy it just to do this little job!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

You sure? Any Corsa C I've worked on has had a brown - lead and a black + lead.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

See this message in a thread I started :

Sure it's a duff red, but in the dark with a failing flashlamp, with 4 years dirt, under a car bonnet ...

The consequences for me were about £300 in car rental. :-(

And I can't be the only one to get a "Rodney" award.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard