Corsa C oil pressure switches.

Daughter came in around lunchtime and asked me why the oil light would be flickering on her 2001, 195K Corsa C. ;-)

She added that whilst the oil level was low, after adding some more didn't sort the oil light ... and there was also the 'smell' of burning oil.

I suggested it was either a faulty oil pressure switch and / or there was an oil leak somewhere.

We nipped out and checked it and it was the oil pressure switch itself that was leaking.

I think this is the second time this has happened and she said the guy at the car parts place suggested they sold a lot of them for Corsas?

So, is there a reason they go on Corsas particularly (over pressure etc) or is the type / model of switch they use particularly weak?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

very common fault with original switch, pattern ones actually seem better.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ok. And just Corsa for some weird / known reason or anything then that uses the same engine / switch?

Let's hope then MrC (not that it's at all difficult to change as she did it just now on her way out ) and with a Lemark branded jobby?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mainly seems to be Corsa in the Vauxhall range, other makes such as VW also have particular models that start leaking.

The power steering one on my Focus failed too, as it is not vital I just soldered it up :)

If you take one apart you will see that the leak is through the small bit of rubber that moves under pressure, perhaps they need a new material that is better able to stand hot oil and flexing.

Reply to
MrCheerful

OK, thanks.

;-)

Interesting. I wasn't sure if it was a small 'piston' going though an 'O' ring or a metal diaphragm etc but a rubber one does sound like a recipe for failure (and that seems to be the case).

But ~£3.50 every 5 years and so and easy to change (in this case) isn't a biggie. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m