Oil Pressure switches

Hey guys, i got another question.

i found out why my car is leaking so much, but the oil pressure switches do they come with a light, or a gauge, so i know what type to get...im not sure on this one, cuz i wasnt sure if the oil pressure switch has a light on it or a gauge...so PLEASE i need help again haha.

Thanks a lot. Matt

96passatGLX
Reply to
96PassatGLX

Get them at the dealer and you will get the correct PSI(bar) rating. Wrong switch=oil light flashing. To to the job you will need

1-oil pressure switch(s) some cars had 2 2-gasket for oil filter housing 3- 2 o-rings for oil cooler housing.

I can do it in under 2 hours. But then again I been doing VW's for 33 years. It's not a hard job to do.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I can't tell from your message, why you think you need a new pressure switch?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

my message was about the oil pressure switch, i had brought my car to a local garage and i know the owner of it, and he had one of his techs look at the car, and they said it was coming from the oil pressure switch and that usually the switches needed to be replaced.

but i have two little screws on top of the oil filter housing itself, and i believe one is the oil pressure switch and then the other is a temp switch but not sure...the oil pressure switch has a little hole on the bottom of it am i correct?, and if not please tell me before i go and buy this new part because i do have to travel back and forth to school and work, and trust me not having a car to go to school and work SUCKS...so please help me and tell me which is the oil pressure switch and which isnt. thanks alot

Matt

96PassatGLX
Reply to
96PassatGLX

ok so i have found the switch but i just need to figure out which is which, and i think i know which one is the pressure switch, but how do i know..any type of markings or is there a hole on the bottom of the pressure switch....and yes it is easy to fix and get off and then get back together, but all i need is to know whether or not i have the right switch, cuz i have two, either one is temp or the pressure switch itself...thanks alot

Matt

96PassatGLX
Reply to
96PassatGLX

But the replacement from the dealer. They will likely be able to show you a picture of where it goes. You will also then have a new sensor and hopefully you will be able to compare that with what you are looking at (I am not sure you have found the sensor(s)) to see which if any is the original. You may need to do some more hunting to find it, but at least you will know what it looks like.

You might also want to get a repair manual from the store for about $10-20.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Remove the oil pressure switch and flip it over. You will see the psi(bar) markings. You could see something like

Hi pressure switch

1.4 +/- a number 1.8 +/- a number

Low pressure is usually something like 0.6

switches also are different colors such as black, white, or brown and maybe a blue.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Hey lost in space/woodchuck i found the BAR number on the back of the oil pressure switch and it was 1.6-2.0 bar so i got the right part and it should be here in 3 days or soo...so thanks for ur help i'll keep in touch if i need anymore help.

thanks a lot Matt

96PassatGLX
Reply to
96PassatGLX