Corsa ECU problem

Or the ecu key taped to the underside of the steering column.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Sorry Tim,

Why do you think my keys are chipped? I'm assuming that you're meaning the ignition keys, in which case they're just a solid plastic fob with the metal part :-) No chips present.

What did you mean by the last part? What needs to be re-aligned to what in the instrument panel?

Thanks, James

Reply to
James Larkin

James Larkin ( snipped-for-privacy@me.for.address) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You *sure* about that? No immobiliser transponder in the plastic body of the key?

Reply to
Adrian

Well I never. I've just had my key apart with a screwdriver and all I saw to start with was the gap where they put the remote central locking gear (battery, switch etc) but then I saw the chip. It's a tiny little solid state thing that looks like a piece of plastic when it's in the key - but then you lot already know that :-) I managed to get it out to look at it with a *very* tiny screwdriver and some careful levering.

So there's presumably a sensor in the steering column that detects the presence of the chip and doesn't allow the engine to start unless it is within range. Suddenly all the comments about having the ECU recoded make so much more sense!

I'll dig out the spare key tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. I'll feel like such a fool if it works...

James

Reply to
James Larkin

The immobiliser transponder in my Nissan Micra key is only visible because they chose to not completly mould the key round the transponder, and expose the red plastic, so that you can tell transponder from non-transponder (boot/doorkeys) keys.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well, curiosity got the better of me so I tried it just now. The spare key makes no difference to the problem but at least I know what to expect if I have to go ahead and replace the ECU - I just have to make sure that the scrappie send me the old keys or chips with the ECU.

James

Reply to
James Larkin

The barrel has a coil round it that detects the presence of the chip. The car will crank, but won't start. I doubt very much this is your problem as the engine management light would flash while cranking to show that the ECU's immobiliser was inhibiting starting. The car wouldn't be so easy as to just ground the fuel pump relay to make it work. The Corsa has two looms. An engine loom, and a car loom. Double check to make sure the earths for the engine loom is properly connected to the battery.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts