Cost of Rover Spares

I've been told by a mechanic friend that a new radiator fan with motor for a

2.0 ltr rover 75 CDT will cost around £350 plus fitting ... Is this reasonable ? ... or is he 'avin a larf ?
Reply to
JB

"JB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How much labour (at what rate) and how much for parts?

Reply to
Adrian

Try

for the part.At least you might get a price comparison. Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks for the pointer Andy ..... Can't find it in their On-line catalogue - Will phone them tomorrow

Reply to
JB
£350 is approx cost of parts only
Reply to
JB

"JB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

FFS. You could get a fan specially built by Kenlowe or similar for less. You could _easily_ modify something from a different car for less.

Reply to
Adrian

JB,

If you don't mind fitting a used part you could try

- I've dealt with these in the past for my own and daughters rovers and they are quite good on price and delivery dates. Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Sounds very high. The aux fan for a BMW E39 costs about 125 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope. Nearer 225 quid at main dealer prices. It's what I paid about 18 months ago, when I bought and fitted one to my 528i. It's not just a fan. There's quite a complicated 'housing assembly' that comes with it. Still bloody expensive for what it is though. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Don't you know about Eurocarparts? And that they can get you bits they don't necessarily have in their cat

Indeed. One of the few guaranteed failure points on an E39. They get blocked with leaves, etc.

Only time I go to a BMW dealer for spares is if I can't source them elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is the cost of the fan motor and controller and is correct.

Beaware that if he has not done acouple before, he will want to discharge and refill the a/c (the official method) but is it possible to do the job without if you cut the fan shroud (to get the wires out) with a hacksaw and after "lace" it back together with small cable ties .

Unfortunately its the weakest part of the car and a £500 job to do.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I would have thought you could replace the car for about the same unless its sentimental value or you just really like it. Personally, I have always hated Rover's after the SDI. There look reminds me of an old man wearing brass rimmed spectacles. I'm sure they are perfectly good cars. You see a lot of them around here in Suffolk where the the average age is on the old side. I'm nearly fifty, so not a spring chicken myself. For the record, I favour a large Ford, S-type Jag or Range Rover.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Is it f*ck when you can buy a full Kenlowe kit including adjustable=20 thermostat for =A3130.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Why the f*ck would someone pay that much when a Kenlowe kit is half the=20 price?

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Fuck that. Get a Kenlowe Fan Kit which includes an adjustable temp=20 sender and DIY it. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Given you can get anything that size rewound for £100 one has to wonder what actually dies.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hmm. Of all the 'styling clue' cars of the '90s, I think the 75 the most successful. The S-Type not a patch on the original. And the X-Type looks like it's been in a smash. BTW I own an SD1.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fitting a Kenlowe kit can be relatively easy on an old car where there is plenty room. I very much doubt that applies to a 75.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because it's not a s**te old Crapi.

Modern cars have less space and tend to have things like this integrated with other electronic kit.

Reply to
SteveH

If you can actually dismantle the motor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)