Crippled camper (1997 Fiat Ducato 1.9TD immobiliser trouble?)

Well, we took the "new" camper out for a wee shakedown cruise yesterday. Initial plans to head down to Wigtownshire had to be changed because of the weather so we headed to Loch Lomond instead.

Mechanically the old bus behaved pretty impeccably and the only hiccough occurred when we found that the auxiliary battery tray (and battery) wasn't secured and it slid forward under braking pulling off its power lead.

Anyhow, we racked up about 150 miles with multiple stops and starts with no problems. When we got it home, I disconnected the auxiliary battery to secure the battery tray and reconnected everything. After we'd cleaned the van I went to move the van as we'd parked it the "wrong" way round for ease of access.

Dash lights came on, glow plugs glowed but as soon as I turned the key to start it, there was a click from somewhere under the dash and all the lights went out. Taking out and re-inserting the key had no effect as everything was still dead.

After several minutes, things came back to life and all the power was restored to everything but the starter. Each time I try to start it, I'm locked out for a period. When I turn the ignition on, the "code" light comes on for a few seconds before self extinguishing which I think is the normal way it works

I'm guessing this must be an immobiliser problem and I'm wondering if anything I did with the auxiliary battery may have caused this problem. I haven't touched the under bonnet battery and the voltage on it is fine.

Any suggestions before I get my money's worth out of my RAC membership?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Shoulda said, I've checked all the fuses in the cab and they're all okay.

Reply to
Tim+

I would first be looking at the major connections at battery leads.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'll have a look but there's a definite "lockout" period after each start attempt which is why I'm guessing that it's an immobiliser problem. Panel lights don't go dim or anything when I go to crank it. There's just a "click" and then everything goes off.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Bow, scrape, grovel. Just looked and the positive battery lead is floating in the breeze!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It happens to us all