CRV Engine Warning

2006 Engine warning light came on a low speed after a 'shudder'* in 2nd gear (I wasn't driving to description is second had.)

Car had just been filled with petrol.

Car has done about 80k miles but been fine and still running fine, other than this light. Regular services etc- inc. one in Dec.

I can't plug my obd reader just now (the car isn't to hand).

Looking on the 'net, a common (most common?) cause is loose filler cap, so I've told son-in-law to be to check. Light still on.

However, what I'm not sure about, does the light 'self clear' for problems like the filler cap or do I need to reset it?

*I was previously told the 'shudder' was the engine switching into a 'safe mode' by a friendly mechanic.
Reply to
Brian Reay

It's bloody annoying, that. But you should be able to find a grease monkey in your area who, for a small fee, can turn that light off for you.

Reply to
Chris

A guess from the second hand description would be a faulty coil or tracking HT or faulty plug causing one cylinder to go down giving the shudder, that would be detected and flag up the engine warning light.

However, you need to get the codes read and that may guide you to the cause.

Minor problems will sometimes allow the light to self extinguish after a certain number of uneventful run sequences, but most do not.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thank you. I have a 'box of tricks' which will turn it off but, at the moment, I'm more curious to know if minor faults 'self clear'- especially the filler cap one.

As it happens, it seems the light has cleared so, whatever the issue is/was, has gone but, when I can get the car and reader in the same place I will still check.

I'm only (half) assuming it was the filler cap due to the car having just being filled, this being a common cause it seems, and knowing the car has been well maintained from new etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Thank you. I will check. Given where the car was (in one of the recent 'mini-Beast from the East' zones the possibility of some stray water/moisture isn't impossible. The plugs were checked in Dec and are those 'supa-dupa' 4 electrode beasts. I always remove the plugs and check there condition- old habits die hard.

As per my other post, the light has cleared but I will check when I can get the car and reader together (we've all been away this weekend).

You will have seen the reasons for my assumption re the filler cap, I could of course be wrong. Daughter tells me the fault has gone and car seems fine now.

My wife had a Picanto, a lovely little car, but its warning light would sometimes come on in cold weather then clear. Most annoying. Our new car, the CRV replacement an Outlander PHEV, is always 'beeping' for some reason- not engine warning stuff- you can hardly hear the engine (even when on petrol) but the beeps make up for it.

Reply to
Brian Reay

In message , Brian Reay writes

Several years ago I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me, albeit in an automatic Omega, about 50 yards after filling with petrol. When I mentioned it to friends, a couple said they had had problems that week after filling at the same petrol station.

I went on line and sent a query to the major petrol supplier whose chain the garage was in. They later rang me, saying that fuel from that pump had been tested and had passed every check.

A few weeks later the garage closed for all the tanks to be replaced.

A non fuel related fault was found on the car, so I suppose it was just a coincidence.

Reply to
Bill