daughters polo...again

Had a visit from daughter and gave her Polo the once over. Everything seemed fine....except she was complaining about it being jerky. To cut a long story short it seems jerky on the overun and very sensitive to the throttle in first gear.Unless you are very careful it seems to alternate between shutting off and going forwards. Also in higher gears if you let off the accelerator and then cahnge up there is a small jerl before the engine accelerates Car is 1998 1.6CL with 52,000 miles on the clock Have checked air filter,plugs plug leads and all look ok It seems to be a multipoint injection system and I was wondering if ir is the throttle potentiometer. Any ideas very welcome as am trying to avoid main dealer charges Thanks Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Smethurst

Slipping clutch?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Clean the idle valve.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Reply to
Geoff Smethurst

Clean the idle valve.

------------------------------------------------- Ted Rubberford. 'The Man In The Red Latex Skintight Suit'

Reply to
Teddy Rubberford

It'll be a SPi engine this- so wont have an idle valve per say- it uses a stepper motor, with idle contact on the end of the plunger.

Check the linkage moves freely and smoothly- alittle light machine oil may help here, and also do a resistance check ont he TPS, as you range it from one extreme to other. If the reisstance figure is at all jumpy- especially around the throttle closed position, renew it.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hmm, my car's slimilar, but I assumed that it was normal. If in 1st gear I lift my foot off it seems to sound almost like it's stalling for a moment. It's not too bad with careful feet, but could this be a similar problem that may just need the idle control valve cleaning or something?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk