Dead alternator .. again?

Of course. Measuring the heatsink temp and limiting the output level has been around since the early days of solid state amps.

Indeed. So over its rated output. Doesn't mean it will burn out, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Meter was recently calibrated , got the same reading off the focus digital readout , The alternators been checked by ford and an independant and its fine

Local ford dealrship said the readings were normal with the front screen heater(quickclear) running . It will only operate when the engine is running and it does turn itself off

Still wouldnt power the lads stereo up the road from me

Some new cars are comming out with 24 volt systems now to cope with the amount of electronic gadgetery installed as well

Reply to
steve robinson

Agreed i was just making the point that a lightbulb has a peak and continous limit like anything else , its just rare to run lightbulbs at thier peek output

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

:-)

I hadn't heard that, but some cars are 42 v...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Think the jump is to 48v. (approx)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well a mains light bulb is designed to work at mains voltage. And while there is some variation it won't be over 240 by much. The most I've seen here is just under 243. And I know it's now nominally 230. ;-)

Low voltage lamps fed from a SMPS should get the correct voltage pretty well regardless of the mains voltage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Note that the rate of charge on these cars is controlled by the ECU; the alternator has no regulation circuitry built-in.

OK, I've just been out and checked the voltages on my own (early) Focus.

The readings were taken with a Fluke model 23, calibrated to Category A by ASAP Calibration Services. All readings were take across the battery terminals, at tickover. (800rpm).

Engine running, no additional load = 14.21 volts.

Engine running, blower, headlights and rear screen on = 14.13 volts.

Engine running, blower, headlights, front and rear screens on = 12.55 volts.

This is in line with readings I've taken before.

I repeat, a battery voltage of 10.5 volts means something is wrong!

Apart from anything else, the dash electronics would be forever rebooting.

[...]
Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well unless it was made by Crown :-(

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is this so the ECU can reduce demand from the alternator for a short period when high demands are on the engine?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same meter i used calibrated as well

All i can think is thiers an issue with the quick clear in that case ,

When the quick clears off charging is always over 14 volts as your figures show

Reply to
steve robinson

No, it's so Ford can use a technology called "Smart Charge".

A quick Google found this:

"The theory behind smart charge, is a battery will take a charge at its most efficient when it?s cold. Following start up, the PCM checks the Engine coolant temp, and intake air temp, and calculates a cold engine. It will then boost the battery charge, pulling it back as it calculates the under bonnet temp coming up. Its not there to compensate high demand as is the common misconception."

Using this system, charging voltage can be as high as 14.8v.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My mains voltage tops out at 248 volts it does vary though and averages 238v

I have seen mains as high as 260v in a college i worked at a few years ago

They were forever changing lamps

Reply to
steve robinson

On the new van i picked up recently the battery is not in the engine compartment this must bes for the same reason cooler running battery not subject to temperature extremes

Havent got round to tinkering yet

Reply to
steve robinson

Seems the idea of putting the battery in the rear of a vehicle is a good one, then? Still seems a bit over the top when local sensors associated with battery and alternator could do the same job. Bet it keeps the replacement costs up, though. ;-)

Right.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)