Do I need a CAT

The cat on my diesel ovloV has died. Worse still, so far the only OEM replacement I can find in the UK costs more than the main dealer price.

It has been suggested that in the UK, there is no legal requirement to have a cat on a diesel (the car is a 1998 model).

As such, one option is instead of replacing the cat, to remove it.

But my questions are:

Can I remove it and remain legal

and

On a diesel engined car, is this going to cause me a problem come MOT time?

Thanks

Reply to
Networkguy

I may be wrong, but I don't think you actually have to have a cat. However, your car must run within its prescribed emissions limits without one, otherwise they'll 'ave you at MOT time, or worse, at a roadside check.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

I know that this is certainly the case on a petrol engine but I have been told that on a diesel, this is not the case but obviously need to be 100%.

Reply to
Networkguy

Well that's not that suprising, just fit a nonOEM one.

NOt unless it's so buggered it's smoking.

Reply to
DuncanWood

That would be because OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer, in this case that's Volvo or their contracted supplier of the CAT.

Did you mean pattern replacement?

Peter Hill

Yes I do. Oops

Reply to