Cat required on a K plate Escort ?

A mate of mine has bought a K plate Escort 1.6i 16v. He has been told the Cat is knackered and that it should be replaced.

KwikFit say if the car was supplied with a Cat from new, then a Cat should be re-fitted.

Question is, does the car have to have a Cat, or can a bypass tube be fitted.

When we recently SVA'd a cobra kit car, I seem to remember being told that the magic date (after which a Cat level emissions test is performed) was Septemberish 1995. We managed to get our early 1995 Rover 3.9EFi through at the pre Cat 3.5% HC limit (IICR).

Can anyone enlighten us on this subject ?

TIA

Paul.

Reply to
Paul W

Sorry, I think that should read 3.5% CO limit.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul W

Yes a cat is required on this vehicle. (obviously working) Just cos he has been told its knackered, it doesnt mean it is, could be faulty o2 sensor, or other fuelling problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I think he's just missed it by a year? I had a J plate XJS that had cats, I removed them, gained a few BHP and sailed through the MoT. Quite a few Carlton/Senator owners do this - you tend to find it occurs with more expensive cars that had cats fitted before the 1992 legal requirement.

Reply to
DocDelete

Manufactured or registered? The March '93 K plate Sierra (one of the very last) I once owned didn't have a cat.

Gentlemen (& Ladies) the date you are looking for is 1st August 1992. The vehicle may not be subject to a CAT test if an "exact match" can't be found in the emissions data book! After 1st August 1995 then it gets a either a full CAT test or a CAT test to default limits. Check out my site to get these bits of information please.

Bob

Bob McKay

I'm still a tad confused here : is the requirement on e.g a 1993 Carlton to pass the CAT test emissions limits (catalytic fitted ot not); or to pass this limits with a Cat fitted?

Reply to
airsmoothed

This topic has been flogged to death in this group, I thought I made it clear on the website.

There is no requirement for a CAT to be fitted, all that the MOT requires is that the emissions meet the levels prescribed.

Bob McKay