MOT and Lights

If your car has Front Fog Lamps are they tested as part of the MOT?

LL

Reply to
LiviLion

No

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Any lights your car has must be working to pass the MOT even it they aren't a legal requirement on the car. The alignment is quite obviously not checked by the number of miss aligned ones.

Reply to
Depresion

I'm fairly sure that if they are fitted they must work, by work I mean light-up when switched-on, and off again. Their alignment is not checked AFAIK.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Also sprach "Depresion" :-

Simply not true, I'm afraid. For example, the reversing lights aren't checked, nor are front fogs.

Reply to
Guy King

Blue washer LEDs / underside neons are also not checked. Shame, they could make them a fail!

Reply to
PM

If it has fog lights fitted thwen at least the warning light on the dash must work.

Reply to
adder1969

Your wrong there I've had a few cars fail on non working reversing lights.

Reply to
Depresion

NO. FRONT fog lights are not checked for the MoT. It may well be a legal requirement that any light fitted should work, but front fogs are DEFINITELY NOT a MoT requirement.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Then if it happens again ask for a VT17 form, they have made a mistake, reversing lights are not part of the test, full stop.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

They don't have to be there, but if they are there they have to work.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

So you are telling me that several different MOT stations have failed my cars incorrectly over the years (the last one being at the beginning of this month)? Where do you do your MOTs so I can come to your for them in future?

Reply to
Depresion

Also sprach "PM" :-

Though I suspect the dibbles could get you for showing the wrong colour light to the front - or did the silly sods who drafed the rules just say it shouldn't be red?

Reply to
Guy King

Also sprach "Depresion" :-

Guy King

Not according to

they don't.

Reply to
John Laird

Nope, and here's the proof...

Only rear fogs are tested. Front fogs and reverse lamps whether fitted or not, should not be tested.

And Depresion, regardless of your own personal experiences, if you've been failed on front fogs you need to complain about the station. Check the mot fail and the report sheet, there's simply no section that covers front fogs. End of story.

Reply to
DocDelete

or reverse lamps.

Reply to
DocDelete

The best foglight quote of this non foggy day: (ok - it's going OT)

As I finally got fed up with flashing/pointing at the rear fogs of the car in front, I got out at the lights, walked up and tapped on (her) window

"excuse me, would you mind turning your rear fogs off please"

Answer - "Why??"

I was so gobsmaked I didn't even point out the weather, her ignorance, lack of awareness etc - but at least she did turn them off

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

I thought that the blue leds only became legal recently due to the new EU plate with the blue reflective bit, as its refelctive I believe it counts as a 'light'. Or something....

Reply to
barry

hehe, looking through autotrader a few days ago, nd saw a focus i think advertised as having "special lights". Reckon it was the same person?

"they're special cos when I have them on, people wave and flash their lights at me! I'm so popular!!"

Reply to
barry