VR6 cat ?

'95 GTI VR6

Was wondering why there was a small amount of exhaust coming out under the car by the drivers car on those nice cold days.....there's a small hole in my cataylitic converter, doh. Got 'bout 110K on the car. Guess I got to replace it soon, any ideas where to get one or is this a dealer item ? Maybe put a Jetex exhaust at the same time.

Reply to
Paul Meier-Wang

Randolph

I have the same problem as well. Mine is a 2000 Jetta GLX, and it has around 82k miles on the car. The MIL came on, and my local mechanic said that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced.

I checked with the dealer, and apparently the OEM cat for the VR6 is pretty expensive, and in back order as well. Is there a good substitute cat for the VR6 engine that I could buy online? Or should I stick with the OEM one?

Thanks, Irene

Reply to
Irene

TT has some high-flow cats.

Matt B.

Matt, thanks for the info. I checked the site out, but it does not seem that they have any catalytic converter for Jetta VR6 above year 1999 (Jetta IV). Should I go with the universal/generic one? Would they last? And if yes, which one?

Also, since I wouldn't be able to replace it myself, would any shop be able to do the replacement job? Or should I find a shop that specializes in German cars?

Thanks.

Reply to
Irene

You might want to check with your local VW dealer and see if it is covered by the emissions warranty...I have seen a few cats fail and they have been covered....check with VW for more information...

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

As far as I know, cats are pretty simple in that I don't know of any reason why they'd be "specific" to a vehicle. Pretty much the only thing to worry about is the physical fitment (size of inlet and outlet pipes) and if your car is designed to have an O2 sensor in the cat or not. Any shop should be able to do the job but if you're buying the cat yourself and bringing it in, you might want to make sure the shop you're thinking about is OK w/the idea of a customer bringing in their own parts or not...some are OK with it, some aren't.

However as Peter mentioined, doublecheck that your old cat is or isn't covered by an emissions warranty. Emissions warranties are usually federal or state mandated and are separate from the car's powertrain warranty.

Reply to
Matt B.

Pete/Matt,

thanks for the advise.

The emission warranty is 8 years/80k. Since my mileage has passed the

80k mark, it did not qualify.

I'll check with the shop then.

Thanks.

Reply to
Irene

Cool. Y'know at least I think that cats don't really matter apart from inlet and outlet size and a hole for the O2 sensor. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in. I think maybe the only other thing that matters is that diesels with cats I think are made from different metals because of the sulfur content in the diesel fuel, but otherwise I'm pretty sure a cat is a cat is a cat.

Reply to
Matt B.