Do I need to use sealant for thermostat gasket?

I want to replace the thermostat in my car. Do I need to use sealant when replacing it and scrape the old stuff off? The haynes manual does not mention sealant when giving instructions on replacing the thermostat. What sort do I need to buy if I need some? Probably typical need to be a big tube of something when I probably wont use it ever again. Have a good shelf life does it?

Reply to
Alan Raymond

I imagine the gaskets are basically carboard. If they, are I would use Boss White (a plumber's jointing paste which doesn't set and is good for hot water pipes). Failing that, a smear of grease. Just something to help the gasket to mate with the metal.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

It really depends on the type of gasket and the condition of the housing face - I'm assuming the head face is ok. Some cars have an accurately made rubber gasket, so no sealer is needed. And if the housing is ally and in good nick with the more normal cork or paper gasket a smear of grease should be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman