DVLA mail for unknown car

Someone who I have never heard of has registered a car at my address and I keep getting DVLA mail for them. Is the person running some scam because I
am sure they must know they are missing the docments which get sent here?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 19/11/18 11:25, Pamela wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-fines-letters-you-dont-own-the-vehicle
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have written to the DVLA but it seems to make no difference. They don't seem bothered. They ask me to write them a letter.
Your web page also asks me to write to for proof that I'm not the registered keeper but I have no need for such proof. And I am not sure why I need to be writing letters and apying postage, especially in this day and age of email, when I am reporting a error to them.
I phoned the garage which was sending mail to the same person at my address and they did stop.
My question is, is there a potential scam going on here?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Pamela wrote:

I wonder if that garage could be the original source of the misinformation?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Maybe the buyer gave the garage a fake address?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Pamela wrote:

Might be worth asking where /they/ got the address from? At least you once got a response from them :-) DVLA won't care because they don't have to.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


To be honest I don't have any problem, except for the nuisance mail. However I was wondering if the owner was playing some scam because I can't see it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Pamela wrote:

I can't imagine any scam (but I'm not that imaginative), but might you not have a problem (or at least much inconvenience) if it is involved in a crime?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 19/11/2018 13:05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

You might get your garden dug over by the police without charge. :)
More likely, you'll get loads of bailiffs round trying to get you to pay somebody else's parking tickets.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
GB wrote:

Where we are now, we have the worst soil I've ever encountered. They'd soon give up digging, and conclude that the canal at the back is the only really practical place to dump a body.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 19/11/2018 11:25, Pamela wrote:

I might start worrying when you start getting speeding tickets through your front door.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 19/11/18 11:25, Pamela wrote:

There are several possibilities.
A previous tenant/owner of your house hasn't updated the DVLA re their move.
A previous tenant/owner of your house has returned to the same garage, bought another car, but the garage has used the old address.
A cock up on the address, possibly by one of those 'auto fill' systems where you enter the first part and a post code, if they put the wrong post code in, and the road and number exists in another town then you get a valid address.
Something as simple as a wrong house number.
So far, you've got errors rather than scams- still a problem.
The real issues start if someone has set out to use your address on purpose. This could be to avoid parking tickets, 'taxing' the car, speeding tickets, etc. or worse.
Either way, by informing the DVLA you've done the right thing.
As you say the DVLA and garage seem to have ignored to so far, I'd write to both again, recorded delivery.
State clearly that you are not the person who owns the car, have no knowledge of them (assuming this is case- which I assume is true) and that you require them to update their records immediately AND confirm they have done so.
I would include a copy of at least some of the letters.
Retain copies of your letters etc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

maybe a Pool car whats the reg number people with no licence or insurance give false address so when they get chased by police or crash it cant be traced to them
-
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 19/11/2018 17:48, Mark wrote:

If you know the registration you can check for valid tax and MOT (cars under 3 years old don't require a MOT) on the .gov.uk site.
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
Insurance can be checked https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 19/11/2018 11:25, Pamela wrote:

I had this recently, a letter to dvla explaining that the person and vehicle are unknown was sent back, free of postage, just write RTS on the envelope the original letter came in and put it in a postbox.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I orginally did that.
However the busybody on the DVLA helpline recently insisted that wasn't good enough and I would have to actually write in by post.
Let the DVLA have dodgy records because I've done all I am prepared to.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 20/11/18 15:20, Pamela wrote:

No escape. You'll be guaranteed communication with them in future.
Where do they send the fixed penalty notice for £100 for having no valid MOT certificate?
Is there currently a good credit score on your property address and real residents?
(I'd sort it out....)
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 20/11/2018 15:57, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There's widespread misunderstanding about the relevance of that. Credit checks are done on people, not addresses. People who live - or have lived - at the same address don't affect a person's credit score - unless of course they share their finances somehow (eg joint mortgage).
--
Robin
reply-to address is (intended to be) valid
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 20/11/2018 18:51, Robin wrote:

CCJ for unpaid parking/speeding fines will be logged against an address and can affect your ability or the price you pay for motor or household insurance.
That's why insurance companies ask about the history of ANYONE else living at the address.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 20/11/2018 15:20, Pamela wrote:

Yes, they are useless. I had a parking penalty notice, my reg nr had been cloned. Sorted that out with the parking people, there were sufficient differences between their photo and my car to prove that. They said you should tell DVLA. DVLA won't accept email, nor message via their web-form — you have to write. Wrote, got back boilerplate reply telling me what I already knew— my registration details are correct. Said contact police, did that, they said we don't record it, the parking company have to report it as a crime. Waste of space the lot of them.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.