DVLA 0 - 1 Pete M

Last week I got a summons to appear in court today about "failing to reply to an official letter regarding the driver of VW Golf reg number B??? ???" which is my faithful mk2 GTi.

So I rang the DVLA in Preston who sent the letter, and informed them in my best highly peeved way that I didn't receive any such letter, and that I'm a bit pissed off that I have to go to court and pay them £45 for the joys of a visit to the Magistrates.

They replied "We're the DVLA, we can send you a letter in the normal post and treat it as if it's recorded delivery, if I were you I'd plead guilty by post and pay the fine, you could try faxing us to get the proceedings stopped, but you will still have to pay the £45 court costs and the fine, which can be up to £1000".

I informed them that they could "stick their special postmen up their arse" and that "I'd see them in court"..

I then hung up and thought "Fuck, that's gonna cost me a grand that is"...

Anyway, today I was up in Liverpool Magistrates...

Walked in, had to do the usual "Are you Peter M?, do you live at?, is your date of Birth?" etc stuff.

Clerk - "Mr M, do you have a solicitor?" Me - "Not right now, no, I doubt I need one to be honest" C - "right, er, ok then. Do you know why you're here?" Me - "yes" C - "On the 10th April last year you were sent a letter asking who the keeper of a VW Golf, B??? ??? was, you failed to reply to that letter, which is an offence against RTA blah blah, do you understand the charge brought against you" Me - "Yes, I understand that's what is meant to have happened" C - "Meant to have happened?" Me - "I didn't receive the letter, and as I wasn't in the country, I couldn't SORN the vehicle because it's an offence for someone who's not a company secretary or Director to fill in any official documents regarding a company vehicle. Besides, it was taxed when I left the country, but it expired when I was away. Nothing I could do, I wasn't going to break the law just to keep the DVLA happy. I've already explained this to the DVLA in Preston who told me I should just pay the fine". Woman from DVLA - "I'd like to drop all charges" Magistrate - "Ok, Mr M, you may go. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Quality. Left room to sounds of Magistrate tearing shreds out of DVLA woman.

Reply to
Pete M

*applause*
Reply to
Grant Mason

Seconded :)

*salutes that man*
Reply to
Dan405

hehe nice story :) good stuff

Reply to
Ron

Muito Bem! (Well done as we say over here!)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P in Brazil

LOL quality :)

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Good work!

Reply to
DervMan

Excellent result. I wonder how many just pay up when faced with this poorly thought out or worded legislation?

It's incredible that all those faceless civil servants that draft these things aren't capable of working out the possible flaws in their legislation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Reply to
antispam

Nice. Was going to do a similar thing, had had a letter for failure to renew, for a car I'd recently sold and had done the paperwork. Rang DVLA who confirmed I was not the keeper on the day I got the letter, so figured on not wasting a stamp.

Ignored everything until the summons, would have gone to court (again....) had the date not been on a day I had a business meeting so I went to the local DVLA office the day before and asked their legal bod who the rgd keeper is showing as being on the date of the issue of the first letter... oddly it wasn't me...

Would have really enjoyed that one in court.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

*claps*

Well done!

Reply to
Simon Burrows

So when will you be suing for "loss of earnings" and "mental anguish"?

-- James

Reply to
James