Earth lead comes off battery cause damage?

If the engine is running and the neg lead on car battery comes off, what would happen? Any damage? Its an old car with no fancy electronics.

Reply to
T Rodger

Likely to blow some bulbs. Radio? Tachometer? Or with luck none of these.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It can do nasty things to the alternator...

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I've run a car with no battery on just the alternator for quite a while with no apparent damage - jump it then drive it somewhere.

I can see how it *might* cause problems but it should be limited to the regulator getting hot...

Reply to
PC Paul

It might cause damage. It might not. It largely depends on how much the alternator regulator depends on the battery to smooth off the voltage spikes and how sensitive the car electronics are to those spikes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

So've I, but I've also had it happen and toast the alternator. Down to design and luck, I suppose.

Reply to
Guy King

But the OP had minutes earlier posted in another thread that he was having problems with his alternator. Now I'm no Sherlock Holmes... ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

This happened to my Mrs car. The earth strap sheared while she was driving it. It hesitated momentarily when it happened (at least she thinks it happened then, when she went over a stick and it must have bounced up), then when she stopped and removed the key it wouldn't re start.

New strap cured that it and there didn't seem to be any lasting problems.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Nothing.

Reply to
Conor

If there are def no electronics such as ignition / fuel injection / instrument panel etc, probably the worst you'll do is fry the alternator.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yep. Any number of electronic devices in the car which previously did something might well start to do nothing instead.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Utter rubbish.

Reply to
Conor

Oh dear. I see you're about as good at physics as you are at admitting when you're wrong.

Please don't make me explain alternator load dump to you *again*.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp