ECU Controlled Cooling Fans

Does anybody know if other cars have their cooling fans controlled by the ECU other than the Ka / mark four or five Fiesta, and Puma? And if they are operated this way, if their cooling fan will run with the engine switched off?

Reply to
DervMan

Mondeo. If the aircon is turned on, the radiator fan starts (I assume you mean radiator cooling rather than cabin cooling?).

No idea if it continues to run with the ignition off. I've never noticed it, and previous cars _have_ run with the ignition off, so I assume this one doesn't.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Yes , Most late Fords , Late Rovers , Volvos and several others. In the case of some Volvos , the main injection relay is held on for about 35 minutes when the engine is hot , and the fans can come on at any time during this period. Regards Mike

Mike

All of the ford range currently have ecu controlled cooling fans, so do Volvo, our 93 850 has one, so they were fitted back then. I would hazzard a guess that most recent cars use the same system.

Certainly on the Fords the cooling fan can't operate with the key off, cos the ecu is powered down with the key off. However you could wire in a very simple timer module for a fixed or varying minute-age to pull in the fan relay if you wished. I think the Ka has a 1 speed fan, but certainly on the Focus, Mondy and Vovlo they are twin speed.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The Ka has a twin speed unit if the model has air conditioning - slow speed with the air conditioning running, and high-sucks-kiddies-into-the-mesh when it gets hot enough! :)

Reply to
DervMan