Radiator fans

Okay, I'm not being lazy as I did try to research this question online but found no answer. There are two fans on my 97 Miata behind the radiator (I've owned it less than 2 weeks). My left one (driver side) goes on when I turn the A/C on but the right one does nothing. I'm not even sure they are working when the engine is hot since I have never gotten out and checked with a hot engine nor have I heard the fans. Just how hot does the engine have to be to activate these fans? Also, shouldn't both fans be running?? Thanks.

John

Reply to
John

Per K. Nielsen

On a '94-'97 1.8, both fans are controlled by the ECU. The leftside (coolant) fan should run when the coolant temperature exceeds 207F. The rightside (condenser) fan should run if the coolant temperature exceeds

226F. Both fans should run if the A/C is on.

Something is wrong with your condenser fan: wiring connection, relay, or the motor itself.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks for the info. I must have a fan that is not working, I'll figure it out from here. Thanks again.

Reply to
John