Electric engine mounts

'94 Audi 100 Avant 2.5TDi auto. While idly poking about under the bonnet the other day I noticed the engine mount has wires going into the rubber. The HBoL doesn't mention it directly, just in the wiring diagram lists it as "engine mount solenoid".

What's that all about then?

Other unexplained features...

The preheat works, all five glowplug are working, but the warning lamp doesn't go out on its own - but does when you start the engine.

There's a dead bulb indicator which keeps telling me I've got a side light or dipped headlight bulb out. Any idea where the control unit is, 'cos they're all working fine. It's intermittent, but I've waggled all the wires without being able to replicate the fault while stationary.

Reply to
Guy King

If it's anything like the Audi 100 of mid-80s vintage, there's a control unit behind a panel in the rear (on the passenger side) which checks brake lights etc.

Reply to
Volff

The message from Volff contains these words:

Hmm, it's a lot later than that - I've a feeling it's integrated into the dash.

Still wondering about these engine mounts. I can find a few referrences to them with google but nothing that says what they do.

Reply to
Guy King

If the wrong bulb (wattage etc) has been fitted then the dead bulb warning lamp may still illuminate.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew

The brake light sensor starts staying on if there's any corrosion in the rearlight clusters. & I mean any.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's not unusual on "premium" vehicles to have variable stiffness mounts. They are usually set "floppy" at idle, so engine vibrations don't get transmitted into the car body, but then stiffen up at high load to keep engine movement under control. (Ooh er no missus...)

Often the mounts contain a hydraulic element, with an electric solenoid valve to restrict the flow and so alter stiffness. Others, I believe, use some kind of fancy electro-rheologic fluid, but I'm hazy on the details. Either way the switching is done by the engine ECU according to some kind of load/speed map.

Tony

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info

The message from "Andrew" contains these words:

Ah, that's a thought. But it only flashes when I go round corners.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Duncan Wood" contains these words:

No, it's happy with the brake lights - the ABS system gives it the all-clear every start.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "

" contains these words:

Ah. I had a feeling it was something like that. I wonder if that's why the engine's started sounding rather boomy on idle. I'll have a play.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry, tail light sensor. It's a very pernickity device.

Reply to
Duncan Wood