Electric Power Steering Pump

On my 2005 Focus 2.0 TDCi I've had a irritating issue for almost two years. When I first start up in the morning, I get a power assist fail warning about 50% of the time. Its not a big deal, I notice the warning on the first turn of the ignition so I turn it back to off, turn it on again and its clear. If I were to start the engine without doing this, I would have no power steering. I've got used to this and just live with it.

Last month I had the r/h headlamp unit out to change a bulb. This gives you access to the power steering pump with its integral reservoir, which according to Ford doesn't need checking or servicing but I always check the fluid level when I get access to it. This time the fluid level was fine but I was thinking that the fluid looked quite dirty. Its been in there for 10 years now. I've got a bottle of the correct spec fluid in the garage so I decided to remove as much of the old fluid as I could with a syringe and top it up fresh fluid.

The odd thing is..... since I did that, the power steering fail warnings have stopped. Its possible I knocked one of the pumps electrical connectors when I was working in there and reset a bad connection but I don't think so.

Could there be some sort of capacitance sensor in there in which the condition of the fluid could make a difference?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I think that is unlikely, but maybe it senses the startup current, which might have fallen with the cleaner fluid?

Reply to
newshound

If it gets to be a problem again, then get the battery checked as that is the most common fault to cause the steering warning at cold start up.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for that. I do sometimes get cold starting problems where I have to either cycle the glow plugs twice or at least give it 10 seconds on the first cycle before engaging the starter. I had put that down to the glow plugs having done 120k since they were last replaced. Perhaps it is a problem with the battery which I replaced just over 5 years ago.

Access to the plugs isn't great. Last time they were replaced was when my Ford dealer was doing diagnostic warranty work on a starting problem that turned out to the the throttle body. The friendly tech had pulled the glowpugs out and decided to replace them FOC even though they were fine.

Reply to
Paul Giverin