Electrical Gremlin

3.9 V8i Discovery

Symptoms. The problem normally starts with what sounds like the alternator breaking through on the radio. Sometimes this will go away by itself, sometimes it will get much worse.

When it is bad, the engine will struggle to idle, or maybe even cut out, but will normally re-start straight away.

Occassionally the car will simply 'die' electrically. Completely dead. Interior light, all switches, all lights everything. Sometimes the power returns after a brief pause, other times I need to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

The battery never shows any sign of becoming discharged,as I would expect if it was faulty, or there was a dead short somewhere. Is there some sort of failure of the alternator that could cause this? Any other suggestions?

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Earth strap from chassis to engine damaged or corroded, or if it's a rubber bush mounted alternator, it's eath bonding wire? (I had this same problem with my old RR V8.

JB

Reply to
JB

The earth bond to the engine or the alternators the most likely failure.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you can't find anything wrong with the earth connections, try a battery. Although rare, a battery can go open circuit internally

John

Reply to
John