1998 Taurus crazy electrical problems

The battery on my 1998 Taurus SE DOHC will die if I park the car for 18 hours. The battery is new and recharges well, the alternator is also good. The interior lights some times will stay on when it rains and the doors will not lock while driving and the door-open warning stays on. When this happens, I can?t force the locks to remain down (they go up again). After turning the engine off, the interior lights may stay on for hours later on or they may go out immediately. The left-turn signal some times will not operate and if I repeat that few times (or if I push down hard on the lever) it will work. The front-left light signal assembly usually retains rain water. I took it apart and it looks identical to the one on the right and the rubber drainage valve is fine. Sometimes the car will have all these problems together, and sometimes things are better. But always the battery will end up dead if the car was not started for a day. I took the car for two dealers, they charged me money and kept the car for a week but they did not have answers. I am sure there is an electrical leak. What is in common between all these problems? Thank you for your help, Kyle.

Reply to
doctork

This all is a door-ajar switch. Gotta find out which one it is... probably driver's based on the no-lock situation.

This is a known problem with the muti-function switch. Replace it.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

You can save some $ if you clean the switches instead of replacing them. Lube the door latches with wd-40 or something similar. Open and close the door a few times. Carefully spray some into the hazard button on top of the column too. Then work the hazard switch on and off about 25 times. That usually does the trick.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I tried the WD-40 on the doors and it seems to solve the problem with the lights and locks. Thanks for the great tip. I will try it next on the hazard lights. Can water traped in the left-front signal assembly cause the battery drain??

Reply to
doctork

No, but the dome light staying on from the dirty switch sure would.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

can a bad multi-function-switch cause electrical drain from the battery? Thanks, Kyle.

Reply to
doctork

Only if it's bleeding current through the high beams "flash-to-pass" circuit.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

In engine compartment I found corroded terminals on ground side to chassis. The small wire connected to negative battery terminal. It connects to fender well. There are smaller wires on same terminal I found them to be loose. No more relay clatter at start.

Reply to
EBjimTX